Smoke Alarms are a key part of a home fire escape plan. When there is a fire, smoke spreads fast. Working smoke alarms gives you an early warning so you can get outside quickly.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, especially outside of bedrooms.
- Large homes may need extra smoke alarms.
- It is best to use interconnected smoke alarms, when one sounds they all sound.
- Test all smoke alarms at least once a month.
- People who are hard-of-hearing or deaf can use special alarms which have strobe lights and bed shakers.
- Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old.